Retinal Detachment is a medical emergency condition when the retina pulls away from supportive tissues that provide nourishment to the eye. Any person experiencing the symptoms of retinal detachment should see an eye care professional immediately. On witnessing symptoms like pain in the eyes, the appearance of bits of debris, seeing flashes of light or shadow spots, sensitivity to light, tunnel vision, dilated pupil, and/or redness in the eye, you should book an appointment using trustworthy and authentic websites like PSTakeCare to your nearest clinic.
The diagnosis of retinal detachment includes:
- Retinal examination: Use of a bright light and special lens to examine the retina.
- Ultrasound Imaging: Used when bleeding has taken place in the eye.
It is possible that a tear is not identified on the first visit but it is important to pay another visit in case the symptoms occur. Even if you exhibit symptoms in one eye only, it is highly likely that your doctor will check both your eyes. This is something which is recommended as well as such cases can display delayed results; which is why a second proper checkup is highly imperative when it comes to retinal detachment.
The treatment of detached retina is based on detecting and closing the breaks that have formed in the retina. There are many renowned hospitals and medical institutions in the country; however, retinal repair surgery in Mumbai provides one of the best treatments for such cases and the type of surgery depends on the magnitude of detachment. Mostly used treatments include-
- Use of Laser Surgery (photocoagulation) that causes burns around retinal tear that ‘welds’ the retina to underlying tissue, and freezing (cryopexy) causing a scar that helps secure the retina to the eyewall.
- Pneumatic retinopexy, which includes injecting an air bubble into the eye, the bubble pushes the detached part of retina against the eyewall.
- Scleral buckle surgery, in which one or more silicone bands are sewed to the sclera that pushes the wall of the eye inward.
- Vitrectomy, an increasingly used treatment by Retinal Repair surgeons in Mumbai which involves the removal of vitreous gel combined with the filling of the eye with a gas bubble or silicone oil.
- Prior to an appointment check if there are any restrictions. before the appointment, inquire if any precautions have to be taken.
- Mention any symptoms you may be experiencing, even those that you think may not be related to the condition.
- Mention important personal information, including what’s causing stress and recent changes in lifestyle.
- Let the doctor know about all supplements, medications, and vitamins that you’re taking, including doses.
- Ask a relative to accompany you. post examination and diagnosis, if there is a dilation of eyes, it always best to have someone accompany you to ensure safety. .
Do make sure that you consult your doctor properly before taking any step. Be aware that there might be some pre-appointment restrictions as well in the sense that there may be some pre-requisites which will need to be taken care of. List down all the symptoms that you’re going through; even the ones that might be unrelated to the retinal detachment.
Usually, the treatment is completed in a single operation on an outpatient basis. The success of the treatment depends on the intensity of the problem and hence, it is best if medical assistance is provided in initial stages of the problem.